Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dont Stop Believing.....

So I went running for the first time yesterday. Awful, I know......other than walking and hiking through towns, I have pretty much never exercised. I decided to go because it was an incredibly gorgeous day, I needed a study break, and I needed a shower. All three of those reasons told me that running was a must!

I took off down a country road not far from our apartment. Its real flat and not a whole lot of traffic. Its not real common for people to go "running", so I got a lot of stares as people watched this white chick in big, baggy, basketball shorts run down the side of the road holding her ipod. I passed some people who were out for a walk, and made my way to the Queen's Tomb (a previous blog). Its a historical place in the town with a great scenic view, and I knew there would be no one there. So you can imagine how disappointed I was to find that it was closed and a large, black metal gate was blocking my entrance.

After lots of contemplation, I decided to scale the gate and make my way to my scenic place. Italian metal fences......HA, take that! It was so great to get out of town and just have solitude and good time to think and pray. There are times when I really miss home, so I have to find a place that reminds me of home. When Im in manhattan, I drive out to this place (I dont even know the name) and I park my car by this river, roll down the windows, turn on my music, and journal. At kamp, I lay down on the tennis courts and night and take in the Lord's beauty as I gaze at the stars searching for a falling one......

You'd think it would be hard to find a place similar in Italy, but its not. While Italy is so different from the States, in the big scheme of things its still God's creation and He loves every inch of it and all the people here just as much as he loves America, Ireland, and Guatemala. Its my narrow view of the world that challenges me.

So Im listening to "Dont Stop Believing" by Journey, because its a great song, and contemplating my weaknesses and how I dont deserve anything the Lord has given me lately. But knowing that the sun will set, and I will be given another day. Because this world is not my home. Even though I love the giant cottonwood in Brookvile and the Kwest tennis courts, heaven is awaiting! And its gonna be incredible.....

I start to make my way back to the big, metal gate, but there are these two elderly Italian ladies sitting by it chatting. So Im forced with the decision: wait it out and hope they leave soon, or climb the gate and risk them turning me in for trespassing on private, government property.

I chose the latter, then smiled and waved as took off running back down the street......cause Im just a small town girl, but Im not living in a lonely world. So I wont stop believing; I'll hold onto that feeling, streetlight people.......

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Oh maggie....I love you and miss you soooooo much!