Monday, October 20, 2008

Chocolate Galore!!

This weekend (after studying for midterms endlessly aka trying to translate our notes from our professors with rudimentary English) we went to Assisi and Perugia. Assisi is most famous for the church of San Francesco. He was a very important figure during the Renaissance and because of his actions and methods of thinking, the view of art and artists changed. The church was gorgeous!! But the whole time, I couldnt help but think "If he was here, I dont think he would like this very much. He was dedicated to the Lord, and sought to become nothing and to live in poverty in order to serve. But now, people flock to this church and his grave for tourism". So weird......But yes, I was one of those tourists. I even took some pictures....not inside of course, cause then I would have been yelled at by the nuns.......

Then we went to the chocolate festival in Perugia. Perugia is the largest city, I do believe, in the region Umbria. It is so gorgeous, but a different kind of beautiful than Tuscania. The chocolate festival was crazy! I couldnt believe how many people were there!! We sawthese Italian men dressed as the Keebler elves, and they were carving a statue out of chocolate! You could hardly move in the streets cause there were so many tourists! Im excited though to return to Perugia with Sez, cause then I will get a much better picture of the town. With such crowds, I was a little overwhelmed.

We did manage to find a "mexican" restaurant in Perugia though. However, we walked in with too high of expectations. The food didnt quite match up to what we hoped it would be, but it made me all the more excited to return to LA CASITA!!! O how I am missing mexican food......

No comments: