Friday, May 28, 2010

We thought we were soo cool ....until....

Clay got it in his head awhile back that he wanted the two of us to bike to Salina from our house and back. I have a hunch my boyfriend's "Bike Across America" is catching on to him (if you want to check out his blog click HERE).

So we borrowed two mountain bikes from our aunt and uncle down the road. My uncle is tall, so Clay took that one, but my aunt is not much over 5 ft. So, I rode a little hunch back....

A day before biking, Clay thought that we should bike down the driveway and back and make sure we still knew how to ride a bike...I told him he was an idiot and that we both knew how to ride a bike....

So we set out and we're pretty excited. Clay wore all of his track clothes to look more "legit" and I just rolled my eyes....


For those of you who are not familiar with State Street, the first 2 miles from my house to Salina has a couple big hills, but from then on--the ride is pretty flat. (I use the term "big" loosely because I know Sam is biking through mountains now...)















Anyway, we got to the hill where my grandpa lives, and my chain came off....which was actually ok with me, because it gave me an excuse to walk up the hill to meet Clay and have him fix it for me.

But after those first 2 miles, I told Clay I didnt think I really wanted to keep going....but he talked me into and we went ahead.

The rest of the ride was really nice...The goal was to touch the interstate so once we got to the end of State Street we turned onto Old 40 and went under the interstate, turned around, and came back.

We thought we were so cool, until we were passed by some really avid/legit bikers. I told Clay to try and look as legit as possible....but there was no way. I mean, I am wearing a cut off shirt and no helmet and hunched over on a bike....and Clay is wearing his track gear....how not-legit is that? But it was funny, and as they passed us, Clay hollered at me to take their picture, which then made me feel even more pathetic....


The ride back was also nice...we kinda goofed off the whole time and attempted to race some cars. (We lost in case you were wondering....)


Overall: I think I won.....because Clay's butt hurt before mine!

1 comment:

The Browning's Blog said...

Too funny. If Clay gets much more inspired by the guys' biking across the States, you might want to skip out on the next ride. :) We were just out at the zoo on Tuesday, and the kids kept wondering if we'd see you. Hope you're having a good summer so far.