Friday, September 5, 2008

During these last few days, we have toured Tuscania and interacted with many of the locals. Each Friday, there is a huge market along the streets next to the main park. I would compare it to a flea market because they sell new and used items along with fresh fruit, vegetables, meats, and cheeses. I sort of haggled with an Italian over a yellow purse, but I wasn’t sure how much he really wanted for it. We also took a historical tour of our town. It dates back to the B.C. era and there have been four different periods: uncivilized people, Etruscans, Romans, and Medieval. Many of the buildings reflect both the Roman and Medieval architecture.

Today we took a trip to Tarquinia, a smaller town about a half an hour from Tuscania. Massimo, a Tuscanian, owns a very large van and he has his own private shuttle you could say. For a fee, he will pretty much take you anywhere if you don’t want to take public transportation. So he drove us to the beach in Tarquinia. The beach wasn’t crowded at all which was great, and it had black sand. The black sand is a result of all the volcanic rock located in the area. The water was the perfect temperature! But there was tons of seaweed clinging to our legs…Then after the beach we headed to another small town just so that we would be acquainted with it, and got some gelato. This was my very first gelato experience (I’ve never had it in the states before), so I got three different flavors in a tiny bowl! It was absolutely incredible!

K-West Term one staff (you know who you are) I apologize for my pathetic September 4th picture. I told my roommates all about it, so that I wouldn’t forget. Then they reminded me before going to bed, so my picture is in the apartment. Be expecting some sweeter landscapes in October! Perhaps by then the trees will be changing colors.

No comments: